Tonsillitis is an infection of your tonsils, two pieces of tissue that are found at the back of your throat.
Tonsils act as filters, trapping germs that could otherwise enter your airways and cause infection. They also make antibodies to fight infection. However, they can get infected by bacteria and viruses. This can make them swollen and inflamed.
If you have a sore throat, it is possible that your tonsils are inflamed.
Here are some home remedies to help you provide some much needed relief to your tonsils.
- Get lots of rest. Sleep for at least 6 to 8 hours and ensure that you aren’t stressed.
- Keep yourself in ambient atmospheric temperature. Ensure that it isn’t too cold or too hot.
- Drink warm or very cold fluids to help with throat pain. Drinking warm fluids such as lukewarm water can help you get some much needed relief.
- Eat smooth foods, such as rasam rice, milkshakes and so on.
- Use a cool-mist vaporizer or humidifier in your room. The dryness in the room can exacerbate the tonsils.
- Gargle with warm salt water. If possible, ask your doctor to prescribe you a painkiller that can be gargled.
- Suck on lozenges or other medications to numb your throat
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers if needed.
At the end of the day, if the pain doesn’t subside or lasts for an extended period of time, consult an ENT specialist at the earliest. In cases where the inflammation is very bad, the doctor may choose to perform a surgery to remove your tonsils.